Thursday, August 25, 2005

Alaska

After finding myself shuttled between Ireland and the Middle East more times than I cared to remember in August I felt that a mini holiday was in order. So Julie and I traveled on the same airplane for close to 36 travel hours to end up in Anchorage Alaska. Madness, of course, ensued. When we arrived we had no hotel room, plans or transportation and it was cold and raining. Luckily, this was all quickly remedied thanks to S. S is a pilot that doesn't suck. That really says it all about him. He immediately picked us up at the airport in a vehicle he borrowed from a friend, offered us the use of his layover hotel in downtown Anchorage Alaska, took us out for dinner and pints and invited us to hang out as long as we liked. Julie and I LOVE S.

After a great breakfast at Snow City with S the following day Julie and I rented a car and took off on a road trip. We flight attendants always seem to be in the air so a roadtrip is a wonderful novel experience. It rocked! The first day we spent driving to Seward. Oh the mountains! This is also the day that I learned to use the timer mode on my digital camera. For this I do apologize to you. Any pictures of Julie and I were taken this way.We spent the night at a small B&B called the Seward Waterfront. It came complete with breakfast and a huge friendly saint Bernard.

The following day Julie and I jumped back in the car and started out for Homer. It took us most of the day to get there as we seemed to stop every 4 to 6 minutes either to check out some cool viewpoint or for an off road peeing session. It seems that I have a bladder the size of a walnut. But there is much to be said for peeing al fresco. Become one with nature and all that. But in the end it was well worth the drive. Homer is an incredible little town. No visit is complete without a visit to the Salty Dog. Julie and I also experienced the best food of many months in Homer at a small sushi restaurant and bar called Alibi. Alaska sushi is amazing!

The following morning we started out early to get the rental car back to Anchorage in time and sign up for the Humpy's race starting the following morning. As I am no runner this was a bit impulsive, but I wanted the damn t shirt! And since this day my life will never be the same. You see, I discovered Diet Rockstar at the pre race picnic. I don't know how I have managed to live this many lethargic years without it. It is, simply, the nectar of the God's with no sugar and tons of caffeine. It's like rocket fuel for humans. I was bouncing off the walls much of the evening.

After the beauty of Saturday Sunday rolls around cold and raining buckets. I signed up to do what? You mean I have to run a race in this crap? Yes. That would be a yes. I'm no sissy! The race turned out to be really fun in spite of the rain. I only ran a 5K. But Julie and S did the half marathon. And yes, it did rain for the entire 13 miles that they ran. After the race we all hit the hottub with our other friend T who had shown up to cheer us on. Basically we ate amazing food and drank great brew until I left on the red eye out of Anchorage on Monday night. My overall assessment of this trip: It rocked! GO to Alaska!

2 comments:

Erika said...

You must. It is in my top ten places to visit in the world. And I travel all over the world every month. I'm not sure yet about the other 9 but alaska I am sure about! Thanks for the welcome home.

Eric said...

Happy you enjoyed it here. Y'all come back now. If you ever get back to Homer, I can recommend a great place to stay which is cheap, immaculate, and, okay, owned by my aunt.